The Braille-publishing house and printing office gGmbH is a non-profit institution working for the public benefit.
We offer literature from various fields of knowledge, especially religion, for the blind. Particularly, we produce literature for young people.
In today´s world of multimedia braille printing has remained of central meaning for blind people. It enables them to gain knowledge by reading and writing.
Our programme is directed towards female and male readers of all ages.
It focusses on four subjects:
- religious literature and life-aid
bibles in different languages, religious texts, texts for meditation, prayer and hymn books, reference books etc.
- knowledge and entertainment
nonfiction books, novels, tales, short stories, children´s books and books for young people and special magazines
reports about the catholic work with blind people, about religion and church matters, science and current affairs as well as magazines for children und young peple
- support in everyday life
calendars, appointment books, cookery books, frequency register, imformation brochures, mailing lists, writing paper etc.
We accept printing orders both from institutions and private persons.
The publications are delivered to all parts of the world. At the moment, we have about 3000 customers from Germany, Austria, Switzerland and many other countries.
Moreover we supply libraries, institutions for further education etc. with books for blind people.
The origins of the institution go back to the middle of the 19th century. In 1845 Pauline von Mallinckrodt sel. (1817-1881) founded a private institution to take care of blind children. She wanted to give them a safe and healthy place to live and was also interested in educating them to enable them to participate in everyday-life.
1845 The first publications in a touchable relief writing (roman Unzialen) were used as means for teaching.
1896 Later the Braille System, developed by Louis Braille, replaced the relief writing. At the end of the 19th century, the printing office was modernized and matched to the requirements of modern printing standards.
1947 After the old publishing house had been destroyed during World War II, the printing could be resumed. By now the copying of the texts was done with a „Drucktiegel“ (platen).
1966 the publishing house and printing office moved to a new building.
A number of investments were necessary for the introduction of modern techniques and the constant need of new working equipment and maschines.
1983 the publishing house became a non-profit company with limited liability. The partners were „Die Schwestern der christlichen Liebe“, and the „Deutsches katholisches Blindenwerk“ (DKBW).
1986 the computer-assisted text-processing was introduced. Books and newspapers are digitally registered. They are either converted into Braille by way of a special software or directly typed via braille keyboard.
2001 The „Deutsche Katholische Blindenwerk“ as the only partner of the company became the owner of the printing office.
Today, all computers in the offices are networked and have access to the internet.
For the printing of the texts both metal sheets are still in use as well as a new printer that prints the texts immediately on paper. To allow the adaption to modern publishing further investments are necessary.
The braille publishing house and printing office is a non-profit institution which is supported by the „Deutsches Katholisches Blindenwerk e.V.“. The congregation „Die Schwestern der christlichen Liebe” promotes the work by providing the building free of rent.
The production of braille writings is very expensive as the editions are small. In order to cover the costs, the publishing house depends on financial support by the DKBW. It finances the whole rest of the expenses by donations, inheritances and legacies.
For further information about the publishing house and its founder, Pauline von Mallinckrodt, you can send us a letter or give us a call. We are pleased to send you catalogues also in braille.
Blindenschrift-Verlag und -Druckerei gGmbH
„Pauline von Mallinckrodt“
Fon: +49 (0)5251 / 6 88 88-0
Fax: +49 (0)5251 / 6 88 88-29
You can download this text as a PDF here >>